Pages

January 22, 2012

Book Worm

I always have enjoyed getting lost in a good book. As a little girl, I was an avid Nancy Drew reader thanks to my Grandma Hartman, a mystery lover herself, who introduced me to the beloved sleuth. One of my favorite stories she tells of her childhood is of her using her bus change to buy two Nancy Drew books instead of one, which meant walking to the bookstore. Not much of a sacrifice considering her passion for books. A passion she so lovingly passed on to me through frequent trips to the library when I was young and giving Barnes and Noble gift cards at Christmas. Between her and my step-mom, Tami, who always challenged me to read more, it's no wonder I'm such a book worm!

Unfortunately, the busyness of college left reading for fun on the back burner, but I am thankful to say my post-grad life has given me a chance to fall in love with reading all over again. Since Christmas, I have read four books, going on five, and I thought I'd do a little sharing!

1, 2, & 3: The Hunger Games series, by Suzanne Collins. Talk about three books you cannot put down. Each book is filled with suspense, action, romance, and did I say SUSPENSE? If you like good unexpected turns of events throughout a book, then you NEED to read this series. Just be prepared to put the rest of your life on hold while doing so, though. And at least read the first one before the movie comes out in March, which, can I just say how excited I already am?


4: Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers. Inspired by the book of Hosea, this is a breathtakingly beautiful story filled with so much Truth about love and the way God intended it to be. After 464 pages, I was left wishing for a sequel and dreaming of my own love story that I trust God has written for me. I recommend this book to all woman. Single. Married. Engaged. Whatever! So much can be learned from the characters in this story. 


5. The Circle Maker, by Mark Batterson. This is my current read, and it's literally changing the way I pray. Each chapter leaves me challenged to pray harder, more often, more specifically, and with more faith. Even if you are happy with your prayer life, I encourage you to get your hands on this book! "Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears." 


So what about you? Read anything worth while lately?

3 comments:

Alyssa G! said...

Elise! I miss you so very much. I am currently reading "Anonymous" by Alicia Britt Chole and it is rocking my world. It's packed with wisdom and insight into Jesus's life and his preparation for ministry. Sooo good.

Jordan said...

Ahhh, The Hunger Games is an incredible trilogy! I literally read the first book in nine hours and the second in two days! I am currently on the third... Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, I recommend it! It was very inspiring and heart-wrenching.

Courtney Leigh Donaldson said...

YAY!!! You read Redeeming Love!! I totally agree....I needed more! I really can't wait to read more of her books. Still working on the Hunger Game series here! Love you little Elisey!ob