Pages

January 11, 2012

The Mountain

It's been one of those mornings. Early to rise. Icy windshield with no ice scraper. Low gas light bound to turn on any second. Dreary weather. Life worries flooding my brain. I admit, my drive to town turned into a pity party.

Then I was reminded of Abraham.

No doubt about it, Abraham was a man of trying circumstances yet incredible faith. I am currently going through my own share of trying circumstances, but this morning's pity party didn't help me in the incredible faith department. In fact, compared to Abraham being told to sacrifice his only son, Isaac (the same son who was supposed to assist in fulfilling God's promise to Abraham a few chapters earlier), my circumstances don't seem as trying.

Despite such a confusing and scary call to obedience from God, Abraham, without question, made his trek toward a mountain, hand in hand with Isaac, who he bound and laid "on the altar, on top of the wood. Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son." (Gen. 22:9-10)

And we all know how this story ends. There was no slaying. There was rejoicing! An angel of the LORD said, "Do not do anything to him. Now I know you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son." (Gen. 22:12)

And let's not forget, there was provision! "Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, "On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided." (Gen 22:13-14)

I can't help but feel strongly convicted, yet immensely encouraged to continue on my own trek toward the mountain of the LORD, where He WILL provide. 

1 comment:

Jameelah J Ibrahim said...

Thank you for this. It is what I needed this morning :) I actually read about this yesterday morning and was encouraged by God's faithfulness and how He will arrange circumstances in our lives to be tested but for also for us to see His mighty power and love for us. I am glad that you shared this though. I too have had my own pity parties this week about my job and just a "whoa is me" sort of attitude about life. It is for a beautiful purpose that we have this stinky days :) Love you, sweet Elise! Thank you!